Whether you’re getting replacement windows for your Wheat Ridge, CO home because you want better energy efficiency or because you simply need to replace old models, another big benefit you’re sure to enjoy is better home security.
Older windows are oftentimes unsecure, allowing burglars or other people with bad intentions access to your home. How can you tell if your windows might be potential targets? Look for these signs:
- Your windows are older, making them vulnerable. If your old windows don’t close properly or are loose, they are a big risk to your home.
- If your windows have damage or other signs of problems, like cracks or breaks in the glass, rust, or rot, they are calling out for invaders to get in without any trouble.
- Can people outside on the street easily see into your home from your windows? If people on the street can, so can potential burglars.
Don’ worry if your old windows have any of these issues, your replacement windows will fix all these problems and more. You can also easily make your new windows even safer with a few adjustments and extra features. Consider additions such as:
- Tempered Glass – Tempered glass is made with special thermal and chemical treatments to make it almost double as strong as regular glass. Should it break, tempered class with break into small granular shards rather than dangerous, jagged pieces.
- Window bars – Consider adding window bars for added protection. Go with a model that can be released from the inside in case of emergency.
- Laminated Glass – Laminated glass is similar to tempered glass in that it holds together when broken, but it also provides extra noise control so you get less noise pollution from outside in your home. Laminated glass is ideal for windows in bedrooms.
- Extra Locks – The average window comes with a basic lock, but you can increase your window security by investing in an extra lock. Add a locking pin to hung windows, and a bolt to casement windows. Try to buy all the locks from the same manufacturer to make getting replacements and parts easier.
Its never fun to think about potential break ins and bad security, but its always better to be safe than sorry. Taking preventative action now with your replacement windows to make your home dramatically safer, and to help you rest easier at night or when you’re away.
If you want more information on window security, or replacement windows in general, United Windows & Siding can help. We have years of experience in the Wheat Ridge, CO replacement window industry, and would be happy to use our expertise to help you and your family find the safest and best windows for your home. Please pay us a visit at our showroom, located at 12090 W 50th Pl Unit B Wheat Ridge, CO 80033. You can also give us a call at 720-535-4767 for more information, or to schedule a consultation.