Whether you’ve bought a new house with James Hardie fiber cement siding installed, or you are not satisfied with the current color of the siding, you will eventually have to paint fiber cement siding to give a fresh new look to your home.
Unlike other sidings, James Hardie is fairly easy to paint, so you can do it on your own, but you’ll still need some instructions before you can start this job on your own. United Windows and Siding, a windows and siding replacement company in Denver and Colorado Springs shared some of the best tips to help you get started.
So let’s jump in.
Prepare the Siding to Paint
- One of the first things to do is to prepare your siding for the repaint job. With siding, using a primer isn’t always necessary, so go ahead and rinse the siding with a garden hose or a washcloth and you’ll have removed most of the dust and dirt.
If you want to take things to a whole new level, lightly sand the siding before you rinse it to help the new coat of paint settle in easily and last longer.
- You will also need to check the caulking before repainting the James Hardie fiber cement siding. Most of these sidings are installed with the color that matches the caulking around the corners and the windows.
The caulking also comes with a 15-year warranty. So if your siding is older than that, then you may have to save some money and replace the entire caulking. If not, continue with sanding and rinsing.
Choose a Paint You Like
- Once the siding is clean and dried up, you should pick a paint that you like. There are tons of paints that can go with the siding but always remember to pick 100% acrylic exterior paint for the best color.
Avoid oil-based paints if you don’t want stains on the siding. If you are not sure about this, check with the paint provider to learn more about which paints work best with fiber cement siding.
A Few Tips to Help You
- Make sure that you apply the paint evenly across each of the sidings. You should also keep an eye on the thickness of paint that will be applied. It will affect how evenly and quickly the paint will fade.
If you are painting a siding that is already secure and installed on your home, there really is no way to achieve even painting. You should be aware of this before you start the paint job. But once you do paint it, whether yourself or through a professional, a new coat of paint will help your siding look good for at least 10 years.
Siding Too Old to Repaint?
- If your James Hardie fiber cement siding is damaged beyond repair, then a new coat of paint will not help bring back the shine you are looking for. In times like this, we highly recommend replacing the siding with a new one.
Contact United Windows and Siding for a siding replacement quote today. We will provide you with the best services under a budget that you can work with.