No matter how long you spend searching for the most beautiful, high functioning and energy efficient replacement windows for your Aurora, CO home, they won’t do a thing if they’re installed incorrectly. It’s crucial that you make sure your new windows are installed properly to ensure your home’s safety and function, not to mention that most manufacturers will not honor a warranty for a window that was installed incorrectly.
To stay ahead of your home’s safety, energy efficiency and beauty, and to be on top of your windows’ warranty, its important to know the warning signs of a bad window replacement installation. This way, you can make the contractor fix his or her mistake before you present the final check. Common warning signs of a bad installation are:
- Gaps – If a window is measured properly, it will fit perfectly in the window opening. If not, there will be gaps between the sill and the frame.
- Water Damage or Drafts – Water and air should not be able to get through your new windows. If you feel a draft, or see signs of water damage like pooling water, visible mold, bad smells, or bubbling paint or wallpaper, something is wrong.
- Poor Function – New windows should readily open and close. If your new windows were not measured or installed correctly, they won’t open or close as they should. Also, if you’re having trouble opening or closing your windows right after installation, it will only get worse as time goes on.
- Messy Caulking – Caulking around the exterior of a new window helps weatherproof and seal the window. The top and sides of your new window should have a visible, even layer of caulk. If the caulk is uneven, patchy, or messy, that’s a big red flag. Also, if you can see messy caulk, how many steps that you can’t see were messed up?
- Foggy Panes – Fog or condensation between windowpanes means the window seal is broken, or the window was improperly installed. If your window is brand new and the condensation can’t be removed by cleaning, the seal was broken during the installation. This is a big problem, as the window seal is a large part of the window’s energy efficient features.
If you see any of these warning signs, reach out to the original window contracting team to see if they will fix their work. You can also contact a licensed window installer to remove the windows and reinstall them correctly.
However, the best way to avoid a bad window installation is to choose a quality contractor right from the start. United Windows & Siding, located at 12090 W 50th Pl Unit B Wheat Ridge, CO 80033, offers high-quality, reliable services you can count on from initial shopping and purchasing to installation. We pride ourselves in the best Aurora, CO replacement window work. If you want to learn more about what we do, or have questions about an installation, give us a call at 720-535-4767 today.