Whether you’re a brand new homeowner or a seasoned house veteran, you’re going to have to deal with Centennial, CO replacement windows at some point. When that day comes, it’s going to pay for you to be prepared and know what you’re talking about when it comes to different window terminology. Use this list of important replacement window terms to get started: 

  • Window Frame – The frame holds the window glass in place and is usually made of vinyl, wood metal or a combination of materials.  
  • Block Frame Window – A block frame window is an ideal replacement window when replacing a wood sash of an old double hung model.  
  • Window Pane – The window glass. Windowpanes can come in options like double pane, triple paneandenergy efficientcoatings like low-E. 
  • Sill – The windowsill is the lowermost part of the window, and it usually sloped to help water flow off the window when it rains or when the window is cleaned.  
  • Window Glazing – The number of glass layers a window has. A window glaze can be single pane, double pane or triple pane. The more glaze a window has, the more energy efficient it is. 
  • Window Sash – A window sash holds the windowpane in the window frame.  
  • Lower Sash – The bottom window portion. The lower sash usually moves in both double and single hung windows.  
  • Low-E – Low-E refers to a glass coating that reflects infrared radiation to keep heat in your home when the weather is cold and out of your home when its hot.  
  • Stop – Stops are usually made from wood, and are nailed to the window frame to hold the different window parts in place. 
  • Bay Window – Bay windows are three windows joined together at a 30, 45, 60 or 90-degree angle to extend out past the house’s exterior.  
  • Bow Window – Bow windows are similar to bay, except the windows are joined together at a 180-degree angle.  
  • Trim – The trim helps the window frame fit flush inside the exterior wall for a tight, weatherproof seal.  
  • Head Jamb – The groove at the top of the window that allows the window sash to move in and out of place inside the window frame.  
  • Upper Sash – The top part of the window, the upper sash is generally made up of a pane of glass set in a frame. The upper sash is fixed in a single hung window, but moves in a double hung window.  
  • Side Jamb – Window grooves that help the sashes move up and down or side to side.  

If you want to learn more about replacement windows in Centennial, CO, or have questions about any of these terms, United Windows & Siding can help. We have years of industry experience, and would be glad to give you any guidance you need. Please pay us a visit at 12090 W 50th Pl Unit B Wheat Ridge, CO 80033, or give us a call at 720-535-4767 today.  

Call Now Button