Some Problems with James Hardie Siding Installations
James Hardie fiber cement siding is a very durable and beautiful product, however, it only performs as well as it has been installed. At United Windows & Siding, we have heard a lot of complaints about the product from various homeowners and buyers in Denver and Colorado, mostly about how the material deteriorated for them. James Hardie siding installations may be easier with our help.
Upon inspection, we have always found improper installation on every damaged siding we have come across. Since James Hardie fiber-cement products come with a 30-50 year warranty, it is quite surprising to see the material deteriorating before that time. However, remember that if the material is not installed properly, the warranty is void.
To help you with this, we have come up with a list of the most common installations defects. These fiber-cement sidings come with very specific and clear installations, and our inspection has revealed that most of the homeowner’s complaints about the product had them installed themselves.
Detecting Improper Clearances with James Hardie Siding Installations
Improper clearances are one of the top reasons why these sidings may give up before their life. Here’s how to detect them.
- The sidings must be kept at least 2’’ away from decks, driveways, steps, roof surfaces, and other hard surfaces.
- The gutters must be kept at least 1’’ away from the fiber-cement siding and the kick out flashing needs to be properly installed.
- They must be kept at least 6’’ above the finished grade.
- They must also be kept ¼’’ above the flashing above windows and they should not be caulked here.
Ensure that your sidings meet these standards and you’ll never run into a problem.
Problems with Improper Attachments
Some homeowners run into problems with fiber-cement sidings because they were improperly attached. Here’s how they are supposed to be attached.
- You must make sure that the siding is either face nailed or blind nailed, but not both.
- You must use the proper size nails. We recommend using 6d or siding nails for this.
- The nails have to be driven in straight and must never be over or under driven.
What Do These Defects Really Mean?
- If you are a homebuyer who is buying a home with improperly installed James Hardie Siding, you need to be aware that the damage due to improper installation is not covered by the warranty. Moreover, the siding will be subject to premature damage
If proper clearances have not been met, they can still be fixed. If the siding has been improperly attached to the exterior of the house, there is no way to fix it and you will need to replace the siding.
Get Professional Help
- DIY-ing siding for your home can save you the cost of hiring a contractor, but if you don’t install them properly, it could end up costing you a lot more than the cost of hiring a professional siding contractor.
If you want to avoid these problems then get in touch with United Windows & Siding in Denver or Colorado Springs. We offer free quotes for all of our services with financing options. Once a quote is given, and a contract is signed and approved, we will never change the price of the project.
There will also be no additional fees or hidden charges added to the project. Call 720-535-4767 for immediate assistance today.